Njretoday conducts a weekly Internet radio show on BlogTalkRadio on different real estate topics of which it’s our goal to provide informative, interesting content for our listeners. On today’s Show we will have Rafi Footerman of MidJerseyHomeInspections.com. I’ve had the pleasure of working with Rafi on at least 7 home inspections in 2010.
As an active real estate agent in 4 NJ counties, I am a big fan of using the “local guy,” the local home inspector, someone who lives in the area and someone with a lot of experience and expertise. Rafi has both of these attributes in addition to:
- Providing his home inspection report in a timely manner.
- Making himself available to clients even after the home inspection for follow-up questions once the report is written.
- Arriving on time and taking his time to conduct the home inspection.
- Working diligently to identify the strengths and weaknesses of the property you intend to buy
I’ve asked Rafi to take time away from his busy schedule to come on today’s show to share his ideas about how to care for a home after you become the homeowner. Homeownership is a blessing in disguise in some cases. Some homes require more upkeep than others and it’s important to know they type of upkeep you have to do to fully realize the benefits of home ownership.
How To Care For Your Home After Home Ownership:
- Check Foundation – shrubs, grading, cracks. Outside grading is a normal function of the homeowner. It should be check twice a year to insure proper drainage away from the property foundation.
- Gutters – clean, secure, discharge at least 6 feet away
- Flatwork – seal cracks
- HVAC – service annually
- Exposed wood – scrape & paint when cracked/peeling
- Plumbing – Shutoff outside water lines, drain water heater sediment
- Siding – Inspect for cracked/damaged
- GFCI’s – Test monthly
- Trim trees
- Roof – Inspect for cracked/missing/loose shingles
- Clean Dryer Duct
- Check and Replace Smoke Detector Batteries
Powered by Facebook Comments